Psoriasis is a common chronic skin disorder that causes red scaling patches to appear most commonly on the knees, elbows, and scalp. It is an auto-immune disorder that not only affects your skin but can have an inflammatory effect on the whole body. Psoriasis is linked to a higher risk of obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart attacks, strokes, and depression or anxiety. It can also be associated with psoriatic arthritis.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
- Itchy red patches with thick white scale
- Thickened, discolored fingernails and toenails.
- Scalp and facial scaling
- Joint pain
Unfortunately, there is no cure for psoriasis. However, there have been many advances in research and increased treatment options for patients including:
- Topical steroid creams, salicylic acid, retinoids, Vitamin D analog creams
- Narrow Band UVB therapy
- Oral anti-inflammatory or immunosuppressants
- Biologic Injectable Medications
For more information on treatment options or to schedule a consultation, be sure to contact Nova Dermatology today.